If you find the cold weather increases your appetite, you’re not alone. Some researchers say our primitive impulses drive us to indulge. Enter Winterlicious 2020, Toronto’s favourite food festival, where you can dine at top restaurants for a steal!
From January 31 until February 13, more than 200 of the city’s finest dining establishments will be offering prix fixe lunch and dinner menus where you can sample the finest cuisine of the season without breaking the bank. Here are some highlights from the Winterlicious restaurant list.
Stages Restaurant and Lounge
Located in the heart of downtown in the Pantages Hotel, Stages Restaurant and Lounge is known for its elegant Canadian-themed menu and sophisticated cocktail list. The casual vibe makes it a great choice for after-work drinks or post-show tapas (the iconic Ed Mirvish Theatre is just around the corner). The $33 Winterlicious dinner menu starts off with a seared mushroom mélange, sizzling cauliflower bites or hearty bone broth soup. Move on to round two with braised lamb shank, pan-seared pickerel, or za’atar-spiced eggplant rolls. If you’re in the mood for comfort food, the dessert options of lemon meringue or caramelized coconut banana cream pie won’t disappoint — but the matcha and white chocolate pot de crème sounds pretty good too. Decisions, decisions…
Just around the corner on Elm Street, Adega Restaurante offers Portuguese and Mediterranean influenced fish and seafood dishes served in their most authentic form. Products are sourced from around the globe — fresh fish from the Azores Islands, lobster from Canada’s east coast and Tunisian octopus. The cozy décor with white tablecloths and rustic bronze walls make it a great place to settle in on a chilly winter evening. For Winterlicious, the $28 lunch and $43 dinner menus offer a traditional taste of Portugal, with Caldo Verde soup, grilled sardines with salsa verde, pan seared dourada with Mediterranean salsa, and more.
Chase away those winter blues with a delicious dinner and stunning views of the lakefront. The Watermark Restaurant at the Radisson Admiral Hotel Toronto, Harbourfront is offering a Winterlicious menu that celebrates Canadian cuisine with dishes like parsnip and apple purée with roasted garlic and crispy sage, beetroot cured salmon with caperberries, and local lump crab cake with heritage greens. Whether for romance, business, or a meal out with friends, the elegant décor and iconic setting are sure to impress.
Relax in a sophisticated, modern setting in the heart of Old Toronto. Café Nicole at the Novotel Toronto Centre has a Winterlicious lunch and dinner menu based in tradition, inspired by local recipes and infused by the flavours of Toronto.
Interested in learning more about what’s on your plate? Winterlicious also has a full lineup of culinary events where you can taste Toronto’s history at St. Lawrence Market, explore Latin/Asian fusion at a tequila tasting dinner, or experience the glitz and glam of the jazz age – complete with historic cocktails.
Tickets are on sale now and going fast for these great events:
- David Gibson’s Favourites: A Farmhouse Supper, Gibson House Museum on
January 31 and February 7
- Edible History – Taste Where Toronto All Began, St. Lawrence Market on January 31 and February 2, 7, 8, and 9
- Afternoon Tea at the Castle, Casa Loma on February 1, 2, 8, and 9
- The Pleasure of Survival, Palais Royale on February 1
- A Chocolate Tasting Affair, Crimson Teas on February 2, 6, 8, and 13
- Feed Your Soul – A Louisiana Culinary Experience, Cirillo’s Academy on February 3
- Feast by the Fire, Babel on February 4
- The Art of Pizza Making, Cibo Wine Bar Yorkville on February 4
- Dinner with the Mackenzies, Mackenzie House on February 5, 12, and 13
- The Austins Entertain, Spadina Museum on February 6
- Historic Tavern Meal, Montgomery’s Inn Museum on February 8
- Hungry for Comfort: Surviving a Canadian Winter, Fort York National Historic Site on February 9
- Scotch Tasting Dinner, David Duncan House, February 10 and 12
- Tequila Tasting Dinner with chef Claudio Aprile, Xango on February 11
So many delicious possibilities and so little time — welcome to Winterlicious!